[Tagging] Water collection points (in french "Borne de puisage")

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 14:47:28 UTC 2018

On Thu, Nov 1, 2018 at 10:25 AM Moritz <osm at moritzmueller.ee> wrote:

> I would use
>
> man_made=standpipe
> colour=green
> water_source=main

If you use that tag, make sure that you wikify it and discuss
disambiguation, since 'standpipe' has many different meanings:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standpipe

I don't mind the choice of word - because all words are ambiguous. We
simply have to document what *we* mean by it.

We should probably attach 'amenity=drinking_water' to standpipes that are
potable water sources.

'emergency=dry_standpipe' or 'emergency=fire_hydrant
fire_hydrant:type=wet_standpipe' could be used to document standpipes for
firefighting. (Dry standpipes would need both the inlets and outlets
marked; I'll leave it to someone else to work out the details, since I
don't have any I plan to map.)

Standpipe water towers (like the ones in Chicago, Louisville, or Mannheim)
are, of course, man_made=water_tower.

I don't foresee mapping standpipe piezometers, or standpipes on toilets,
washing machines or oil derricks.