[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (consulate)

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 19:12:45 UTC 2018

On Thu, Nov 1, 2018 at 11:14 AM Allan Mustard <allan at mustard.net> wrote:

> * shift to office=diplomatic and use the existing diplomatic=* additional
> (secondary) tag to specify whether embassy, consulate, or other, then use
> embassy, consulate and other as additional (tertiary) tags to specify
> further the type of diplomatic or non-diplomatic mission as needed.

This is my preferred option for the following reasons:
1. It reuses the existing office=* primary key, which is already in use
(for example, by the main OSM tile layer), as opposed to introducing
diplomatic=* as a primary key. Furthermore, I am in favor of not having too
many top-level primary keys unless they make a lot of sense (like
healthcare=* which is a really broad category, so it makes sense to break
this off as a primary key).
2. It does not clutter the overused amenity=* key and allows renderers and
users to treat diplomatic and quasi-diplomatic objects in the same way and
in a simpler way as opposed to tagging amenity=[embassy, consulate, <some
yet unspecified value>].
3. The three values for the secondary tag diplomatic=[embassy, consulate,
other] plus adding further details to [embassy, consulate, other]=* makes
it easy for mappers to add the level of detail they are comfortable with.
If a mapper is unsure what the object is, they can just tag it as
office=diplomatic. Then other slightly more knowledgeable mappers can
specify diplomatic=*, which seems enough for most casual map users. Then
other really knowledgeable mappers can further add [embassy, consulate,
other]=* for even more detail and more specialized mapping applications.

My second preferred option is amenity=diplomatic + subtags if people are
really not too keen on office=diplomatic.