[Tagging] RfC - tagging whatever power line is isolated as attribute

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 19:45:51 UTC 2018

On Sat, Nov 3, 2018 at 7:34 PM Mateusz Konieczny <matkoniecz at tutanota.com>
wrote:

> Thanks! It was intended to be about insulation.

It now makes a lot more sense.  However, the word "isolated" is present
twice in the rationale.

You probably ought to mention something that was brought up on this list:
that some power
lines have a cladding which is not considered to be an electrical
insulator.  It is unlikely most
mappers could tell the difference.

Yes, there are insulated cables.  They're present on minor power lines for
local distribution (they
run along streets with feeds to houses along the street) near me.  At some
points the line
between poles is a single insulated cable and at other points along the
same street it switches
to four, physically-separated, uninsulated conductors.  It appears to me
that the uninsulated
stretches are older than the insulated ones and that as repairs become
necessary they change
to insulated cable.  I suspect that on anything other than this type of
local distribution any covering
around the wire is cladding rather than insulation.

For more details (only legally applicable to the UK but is probably
indicative of practise in other
countries) see http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/gs6.pdf

--
Paul