[Tagging] RfC - tagging whatever power line is isolated as attribute

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 21:30:23 UTC 2018

On 04/11/18 06:45, Paul Allen wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 3, 2018 at 7:34 PM Mateusz Konieczny
> <matkoniecz at tutanota.com <mailto:matkoniecz at tutanota.com>> wrote:
>
>     Thanks! It was intended to be about insulation.
>

> It now makes a lot more sense.  However, the word "isolated" is
> present twice in the rationale.
>
> You probably ought to mention something that was brought up on this
> list: that some power
> lines have a cladding which is not considered to be an electrical
> insulator.  It is unlikely most
> mappers could tell the difference.
>
> Yes, there are insulated cables.  They're present on minor power lines
> for local distribution (they
> run along streets with feeds to houses along the street) near me.  At
> some points the line
> between poles is a single insulated cable and at other points along
> the same street it switches
> to four, physically-separated, uninsulated conductors. It appears to
> me that the uninsulated
> stretches are older than the insulated ones and that as repairs become
> necessary they change
> to insulated cable.  I suspect that on anything other than this type
> of local distribution any covering
> around the wire is cladding rather than insulation.

This may be true for local low voltage distribution in your area.

In my residential area low voltage distribution runs insulated from the
power pole to the residences, but uninsulated from power pole to power
pole.

High voltage (10s if not 100s of kilo volts)  run uninsulated here and
I'd think that would be true anywhere.