[Tagging] tagging for an office of the local representative to parliament

Allan Mustard allan at mustard.net
Sun Nov 4 04:48:06 UTC 2018

He is still a government official, is drawing a government salary, and
the office rent is paid for out of the government budget.  It isn't his
personal office for which he is paying out of his own pocket. 

Political parties don't pay for office expenses of members of Parliament
or other legislatures.  "Politician" would be more appropriate for the
campaign office of candidate who has not yet been elected, but they are
temporary and thus not mappable under OSM guidelines.

On 11/4/2018 6:33 AM, Warin wrote:
> On 04/11/18 11:17, Allan Mustard wrote:
>> Top-level tag IMHO would be office=government, then additional tag
>> would be government=legislature.
>> The three branches of government are the executive, the legislative,
>> and the judicial branches.
> Errr...
>  this is not to map the executive, the legislative, or the judicial
> branches! Probably why I thought office=politician would be better
> than office=government.
> This is to map the personal usually local office of some usually
> elected representative .. so locals can communicate to them and they
> can communicate to locals (who usually elect them). It is not about
> the executive, the legislative, and the judicial branches' but about a
> politician trying to maintain some connection to the people that
> usually elect them .. so they might get re-elected.
> Have I put enough 'usually' in there to keep the edge cases happy?
> An example?
> Tony Abbott ex PM, http://tonyabbott.com.au/ Has an office at Level 2,
> 17 Sydney Road, Manly, NSW 2095 Australia. It is not the office of the
> Liberal Party, nor an office of what ever role he might be playing in
> parliament. It is an office of Tony Abbott the elected representative
> in this area.
>> On 11/4/2018 5:08 AM, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:
>>> On Sun, 4 Nov 2018 at 07:05, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com
>>> <mailto:61sundowner at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>>     It's going to take some careful thought, and many postings
>>>>     here, to come up with a scheme
>>>>     with sensible terminology that works for all those situations. 
>>>     To me these are all 'politicians' or at least serve a political
>>>     role when acting (I hope) on our behalf to represent 'us'.
>>>     Don't think every situation would be happy with 'parliamentarians'.
>>>     I am not going to try and distinguish between the various levels
>>>     - upper and lower houses, federal, state, local, unions etc...
>>>     That could go in the description, far too many variables around
>>>     the world for a single system I think.
>>>     Lets get the first level of tagging done before contemplating a
>>>     more complex area?
>>> No, I agree with you!
>>> I would think either of the 2 basic we mentioned should fit
>>> office=government or office=politician 
>>> Question though (more for someone in Europe) - is a "Member of the
>>> European Parliament" elected, or just appointed by their home
>>> country? Are they a "politician" as such?
>>> Is there another overall term for elected people? (& yes, I can
>>> think of quite a few terms for them, but I don't think we should be
>>> marking any of them on the map! :-))
>>> Thanks
>>> Graeme
> _______________________________________________
> Tagging mailing list
> Tagging at openstreetmap.org
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/attachments/20181104/823e46e4/attachment-0001.html>

More information about the Tagging mailing list