[Tagging] Public Transport Timetables

OSMDoudou 19b350d2-b1b3-4edb-ad96-288ea1238eee at gmx.com
Wed Nov 7 23:34:18 UTC 2018

(Re-posting because I accidentally dropped talk-transit)

On Nov 8, 2018, at 00:18, OSMDoudou <19b350d2-b1b3-4edb-ad96-288ea1238eee at gmx.com> wrote:

> And it's re-inventing the wheel.  GTFS already exists.
> Could we do better?  Maybe, maybe not.

Indeed. If someone determines GTFS needed improvement, it’s best to work in that community to improve it instead of inventing another standard. This xkcd comic is particularly well suited for this situation: https://xkcd.com/927/.

> We could perhaps encourage mappers to generate
> feeds where the operator doesn't provide them and maybe even
> go so far as to run a web server hosting those feeds until
> such time as a more official feed is available.

It’s very much what I have in mind as well.

We should think one step further than the tagging and figure a solution for maintaining and hosting GTFS files in case the PT organization doesn’t publish one. If we can resolve the issue of hosting the files, it will encourage OSM contributors to think more towards contributing to a web of data and less into “forcing” whatever geo-related data in OSM database.

And hosting these files doesn’t need to be complex. For example, certain JOSM plug-in’s have their configuration hosted in the wiki: https://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/Presets#JOSMwikiAvailablepresetpreferredmethod. So, we maybe already have the solution (with the OSM wiki, not the JOSM wiki).