[Tagging] Public Transport Timetables

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 21:25:38 UTC 2018

On 08/11/2018 20:24, Paul Allen wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 8, 2018 at 7:44 PM Philip Barnes <phil at trigpoint.me.uk
> <mailto:phil at trigpoint.me.uk>> wrote:
>
>     In the UK traveline already provide this service and use OSM. In
>     fact they are part of the OSM community and update the map.
>     See
>     http://www.travelinemidlands.co.uk/wmtis/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en&timeOffset=15
>

> Erm, nope.  See https://www.traveline.cymru/

FWIW I've just used https://www.traveline.info/ to find journey between
Porthmadog and Criccieth and Bearsden and Milton of Campsie (yes!  There
are ones at this time of night!) so the main site does indeed work in
Wales and Scotland.

> s/UK/England/ possibly even s/UK/West Midlands/

The "about" page says "for all travel in Great Britain by bus, rail,
coach and ferry".  As Phil mentioned, at least one of the Traveline
people is a regular on the GB mailing list and may also see this
message.  So not UK (but to be fair I don't think that anyone ws ever
claiming that NI travel was covered) but certainly GB - which is of
course "in the UK".

Other than Traveline, plenty of other OSMers* have worked in the
transport / route planning area - both "startups" and more traditional
transport authorities.  I know of others have looked at consuming GTFS
for bus routes in England, and found that it can be a bit complicated as
the same numbered route can exist multiple times in the GTFS feed with
only minor differences for the variations - it's not just a simple case
of "grab all that data from there and use it" unless you're prepared to
do quite a bit of processing.  You really need to be an app to do
anything useful with the data (such as
https://oeffi.schildbach.de/index.html - which works everywhere in GB
that I've tried it and presumably uses Traveline's feeds, or something
similar) - anything else would just be "reinventing GTFS".

Best Regards,

Andy

* not naming anyone; they can out themselves if they so wish :)