[Tagging] New rag to draw node name with rotate angle

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Sat Nov 10 15:08:46 UTC 2018

Dave F <davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com> writes:

> On 10/11/2018 14:46, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> Dave F <davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com> writes:
>>
>>> Every tag is for the renderer, otherwise all maps would be black lines
>>> & dots. As your link clearly states:
>>> /"Don't deliberately enter data *incorrectly* for the renderer"
>>> /
>>>
>>> The tag 'layer' is purely to aid renderings.
>> That's not true.  It represents things being above and below each other,
>
> And is used solely by renders to distinguish what you said. However
> 'Layer' provides no real world interpretation of height distance
> between objects.

It does not provide height, but it provides ordering.  Which is still
real world data, just less granularity.

>> In the case of tag saying what angle to draw something, that's a
>> specific drawing instruction, and I don't think it belongs.
>
> Along with an angle, a position tag for the label would be useful to
> avoid annoyances where it renders outside the perimeter of
> irregular.shaped polygons.

So would saying that a particular object should be green.  Once you add
specific drawing instructions, I don't see how to draw the line.

Can this really not be computed by renderers?   It just seems like an
optimization problem.