[Tagging] [Talk-us] Population during mandatory evacuations

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Tue Nov 13 03:37:03 UTC 2018

Minh Nguyen <minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us> writes:

> (Crossposted to the talk-us and tagging lists.)
>
> Due to the ongoing Camp Fire in Northern California [1], the place POI
> for the town of Paradise got tagged with population=0 before the
> change was reverted. Following some discussion about this changeset in
> OSMUS Slack [2], I started a discussion on the wiki about preferring
> more stable population figures over supposition about temporary
> circumstances. [3]

That's really unreasonable that somebody would do that.

Obviously population is the number of people whose residence is in a
place, or something like that, not how many people are there this
minute.

It does get tricky for communities that have year-rounders and summer
people, where "residence" is blurry.  But everybody leaving for a week
does not change the population, just as people showing up for a parade
for 6 hours does not etiher.

On top of that, the idea that it's 0, between emergency people and
non-compliant people, does not in general seem credible, and if the
person making the edit was not actually there and able to judge this,
they're out of line on that basis too.