[Tagging] Petroleum extraction

Daniel Koć daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl
Tue Nov 13 13:58:52 UTC 2018

Hi,

We are trying to make rendering for petroleum wells in OSM Carto, but it
seems to be twisted:

https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/3494

There are two different, probably overlapping tags for that, and both
have some problems:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dpumping_rig

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dpetroleum_well

For pumping rig it's clear that there's a rig on the ground and you can
even add what is being extracted, but it's not clear if this should be
substance=oil or content=oil.

For petroleum well it's not clear whether there is a rig or not (there
are some sealed petroleum wells with no other equipment). Tagging both
is impossible in a simple way, since both use man_made key.

My idea is to simply move all the petroleum wells with a rig into
man_made=pumping_rig + substance/content=oil.

What do you think about it?

--
"Excuse me, I have some growing up to do" [P. Gabriel]