[Tagging] Definitive mapper-feedback style (was: Re: Using multipolygons to map bays in Alaska)

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 12:41:10 UTC 2018

On 17/11/2018 11:27, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> ... it is good to
> have a central map that provides valuable feedback, and keeps mappers
> from, say, introducing random highway types by simply not rendering
> them.

I'd agree there, and unfortunately the OSM-Carto style isn't fit for
purpose as that.  It has too many conflicting goals (including "looking
nice"), is far too central-European-city centric and bluntly doesn't
support enough zoom levels for the details that mappers are adding in
2018 to appear (yes, you can use the OSM Carto style with zoom levels >
19 but you won't get any extra features appearing at those zoom levels,
or changes to the width of features).

OsmaRender used to have that role, even if it didn't always "look nice"
(ahem -
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-BAxv_qi34yA/T2FK7q0NfpI/AAAAAAAAAG8/mZ8VKF4nHWc/s1600/geosuck-0002b.png
).  Unfortunately I'm not aware of a style that "shows everything" in
2018.  There are many different maps for different sorts of data (lots
of transport maps, some 3d ones, etc.) but no "shows everything if you
zoom in enough" style.  Or am I missing something?

Best Regards,

Andy