[Tagging] Using multipolygons to map bays in Alaska

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 16:31:54 UTC 2018

Regarding labeling, the name must be attached to something. If there is no real thing to attach the name to, a dummy node ore way or area is used. I don’t have a principal preference for that.

A node can be placed precisely where you want the name to appear, then the label appearance could be modified by the renderer according to the context, e.g. shorelines.

A way could be useful for curved straits, the renderer could use the relation between way and shorelines to do nicely curved and sized renderings, including repetitions in separate sections.

An area outlining the rough shape of the bay could be handy for oddly shaped bays or gulfs, making the names more easier to render, including size and repetitions.

Looks all equally valid and doable to me.

Mvg Peter Elderson