[Tagging] Using multipolygons to map bays in Alaska

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 01:28:12 UTC 2018

Despite the remaining problem of just how best to map the Iarge Alaskan bay
that started this conversation, it's been very interesting. For now, I'll
just let it remain as a node and hope that a better label rendering
solution for a water body as large as Cook Inlet comes along during my
lifetime. I will decide whether to use multipolygons to show smaller bays
and straits on a case by case basis.

Thanks to all for your contributions.

Alaska Dave

On Sun, Nov 18, 2018 at 4:51 AM Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 17, 2018 at 9:30 PM Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> It is sounding as if Frederik and Christoph are willing to tolerate
>> limited experiments as long as we mostly don't damage the coastline,
>>

> Life would be so much easier if we had a sandbox.
>

>> and keep our areas small enough not to break the toolchain.
>>

> I was contemplating generalizing Cardigan Bay.  Maybe a few dozen nodes.
> But now you've made me
> worry that it's not just the node count I should be concerned about but
> also the size of the area
> enclosed.  Like I said, if only we had a sandbox...
>
> --
> Paul

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska