[Tagging] [OSM-talk-be] identifier in ref:xOperatorx=y0yyyy to url=http://mijnlijn.be/y0yyyy

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 18:05:13 UTC 2018

On Sun, Nov 18, 2018 at 11:16 AM André Pirard <a.pirard.papou at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Jakka's point is not that "url" is used but that it could be wanted and
> that this usage would prevent it.
> To prevent the "first jumping on it owns it" practice, the good move would
> be to consider that anything:url is *officially* an URL.
> "being officially" meaning principally that listings make it a clickable
> link.
> Even though any URL can be recognized inside any text and made clickable.
> But I've had problems suggesting to make multiple tags containing URLs
> clickable.
> The answer was: "the URL tag exists already" ;-)

For whatever it's worth (probably not much), when I imported the New York
City DEP recreation lands data, most of the facilities had multiple URL's -
the main URL for the facility, the URL for the facility's official map, the
URL for the site where permits can be obtained (if permits are required)...

At the time, JOSM warned me about 'url' and proffered 'website' in its
place, so I went with that in place of 'url'. For the secondary sites (map,
permit service, ...) I used 'website:map', 'website:permit', etc.  The
tools appear to recognize it - at least when I call up a place like
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6304825, the URL's render
appropriately as links. I may have got it all wrong, but nobody corrected
me on talk-us or imports at the time.