[Tagging] Suggestion: ref:mobile_payment for amenity=parking

Michael Brandtner brandtner_michael at yahoo.de
Tue Nov 20 21:51:47 UTC 2018

Hi,

this is my first message to the mailing list, so bear with me if this is
not the correct way for suggesting something like this. I'd like to make
a change to the Wiki but wanted to get your opinions first. Many (most?)
public parking lots in Germany have the possibility to pay via SMS or
smartphone app. For this, the parking lot has a specific number that has
to be entered when paying with the mobile device. The number is printed
onto the parking ticket machines. At the moment, these reference numbers
are very seldom entered into OSM.

I'd like to add a tag to the Wiki page for amenity=parking
(https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dparking) to encourage
mappers to enter this information more often. I think the best tag for
this would be ref:mobile_payment, but it hasn't been used yet by anyone
else but me. Ref:mobile-payment has 14 uses but I think this is not
suitable because the English spelling doesn't use a hyphen for that
word. Other tags don't seem to exist yet.

So what do you think?

 1. Should a tag for this purpose be added to the Wiki page?
 2. Is ref:mobile_payment the best tag for that or do you prefer another
    one?

Michael (Discostu36)