[Tagging] Physical vs legal access tagging on barriers

OSMDoudou 19b350d2-b1b3-4edb-ad96-288ea1238eee at gmx.com
Wed Nov 21 17:24:26 UTC 2018

The wiki says the access tag represents the *legal* access condition, so not related to the physical aspects of the feature.

Reading the wiki a bit, I see the access on gates exists to override the default characteristics inherent to the barrier type: “Each barrier has its own accessibility defaults. Use tag access=* to override them.” [1]

So, lift_gate with access=foot is probably redundant, because the lift_gates I can think of do not have features that effectively prevent foot passage (they might deter or have signs, but the physical construction of the gate itself is not preventing foot passage).

I don’t know where the default accessibility condition per gate type can be consulted, however.

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Barriers