[Tagging] Physical vs legal access tagging on barriers

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Wed Nov 21 15:16:28 UTC 2018

There may be a sitation where
1) there is a barrier (like barrier=lift_gate)2) it is not blocking foot traffic3) but pedestrians are not allowed to pass
I think that optimal tagging in this case would be
barrier=lift_gate + foot=yes on barrierhighway=* + foot=no on way with barrier node
See for example https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Slan%C3%BD_(0486).jpg <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Slan%C3%BD_(0486).jpg>
In other words: ways have access tag defined by legal situation, barriers have tagsdefined by physical obstacles.
I think it would be the best way to tag and I used it so far (for example many barriers
have no legal blockade for cyclists but are made in way that makes dismounting and
crossing on foot necessary)/