[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - (Tramtrack_on_highway)

Nikulainen, Jukka K jukka.nikulainen at helsinki.fi
Thu Nov 22 06:56:38 UTC 2018

Hello again!

>Yep, here's one:
>https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/-23.38348/150.51344
>https://www.google.com/maps/@-23.3849743,150.5134603,3a,75y,1.08h,91.28t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1symXKGQrpX9_K7nUyg9FbMg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
>& that is the main North-South rail line!

Wow! I had no idea that was possible, thank you to everyone else for the examples!

It is true that this situation alone would be a strong argument for a separate tag from the rail= -tag, that could take on different values which more accurately describe the different rail types.

>Hello Yves,
>maybe you're missing that according to the proposal we will have a first feature tagged as *both */highway=*/ *and */railway=separately_mapped/, *plus *a second >overlapping/parallel feature tagged as/railway=*/
>Utterly confusing, IMHO: the embedded rail is an attribute of the highway surface and so should be tagged, not as a hint to the renderer.
>Cheers,
>Sergio

Yeah, I'm beginning to see the point in this criticism (expressed also by other people here as well, thank you all, BTW!). If there won't be any votes cast, for or against, in the next two weeks, I'll change (& expand!) the tag-values and hopefully have time finally to add some real examples to the proposal page.

Thank you all for the great feedback and keep it coming! I'll also add the few railway lines on highways as examples to the new proposal page after next week!

Sincerely,
Jukka (Tolstoi21)