[Tagging] [OSM-talk] Feature Proposal - RFC - Mapping disputed boundaries

Roland Olbricht roland.olbricht at gmx.de
Tue Nov 27 08:31:22 UTC 2018

Hi all,

a much simpler approach is to look into the respective constitution.

The Ukrainian constitution defines the state's territory in article 133.
Other countries, like Germany do so as well, and Ireland does or has
done so. France does not define its terriotry in the constitution, and
the UK has AFAIK no constituation. Probably in both countires laws exist.

Thus I suggest to create a relation comprising the regions mentioned in
that said article. It should hold the various name tags and a distinct
tag (not "boundary", "admin_level", or "source") to indicate that it is
a boundary according to the consitution, e.g.
"legitimation=constitution" (and "legitimation=national_law" if not
declared by the constitution). Countries where the constitution
conincides with the de-facto border can just get the tag.

For Cyprus and Western Sahara, I have been unable to find the relevant
documents. I'm cautiously optimistic that they can be modeled in the
same way.

Given that there is at most one constiution per country, that those are
designed to change infrequently and most countries are expected to
conincide, this allows to add no-nonsense data without opening a can of
worms.

Best regards,

Roland