[Tagging] Neighborhood Gateway Signs?

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Fri Nov 30 18:19:47 UTC 2018

One of the listed values of the place tag is “neighbourhood”. And, in the one case where I mapped such a overhead sign, it was the entrance to a neighborhood. It was, in fact, the location you’d be taken to by the motor-rickshaw from the metro station when you gave your destination and was part of the address I was given to reach the residence in question.

But that was in another country than I live in. In my own country, it is much more likely that a development would have a sign to the side of a main way in. Mostly there for advertising. Nobody, or at least almost nobody, would ever use it to give directions or use it as a destination itself.

So I guess the use of a place=neighbourhood tag might be dependent on the local situation. Is this the landmark the locals use for giving directions? If so, then place=neighbourhood is more likely to be usable by a routing engine than usage=welcome_sign.

Cheers!

> On Nov 30, 2018, at 9:18 AM, Sergio Manzi <smz at smz.it> wrote:
>
> No, wait, I disagree with the "place=neighbourhood" thing!
>
> See: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Places <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Places> and https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:place <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:place>
> Cheers!
>
> On 2018-11-30 18:10, Sergio Manzi wrote:
>> Seems very good to me.
>>
>> already used: https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/man_made=gantry <https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/man_made=gantry>
>> proposal exist: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Gantry <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Gantry>
>> In the proposal I don't like very much the way to indicate clearence, maxheight:physical=* (what? opposed to...  maxheight:virtual=*, maybe?), but that's another story...
>> I think you found the right key, bravo!
>>
>> Sergio
>>

>> On 2018-11-30 17:53, Tod Fitch wrote:
>>> I’ve mapped by placing a way across the road tagged with:
>>>
>>> man_made=gantry
>>> name=“whatever”