[Tagging] iD Editor - unclear translations ( QA ) - 2018Oct

Imre Samu pella.samu at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 10:39:39 UTC 2018

> think these unclear translations come from the fact different languages
make a different split in the world.
>  As an example, in Spanish we have many different words (bar, mesón,
restaurante, cantina, café, cafetería, chiringuito,  pub/bar de copas,
cervecería, bodeguilla, whiskería, taberna,  txoko, peña)
> for what english splits into bar/restaurant/pub/café.
>Bars are for Spanish language what snow is for inuit language...

agree,  there are lots of cultural problems,   translating is not easy.

my aim to create a better translation for every language.   Because clear
translation -> better data quality

for example  - "*words with multiple meanings" *
imho: there should be a better translation for showing the differences
between the  *amenity=bank vs amenity=bench *

es ( Spanish ) - imho:  the editors can see the differences

es *"Banco" *                    -  Bank amenity/bank amenity=bank
es *"Banco / Asiento"*    -   Bench amenity/bench amenity=bench

but in this cases, I am not sure, that everybody sees the differences:
           ca ( Catalan, Valencian )

ca "Banc"    -  Bank amenity/bank amenity=bank
ca "Banc"    -  Bench amenity/bench amenity=bench

gl ( Galician )
gl "Banco"  -  Bank amenity/bank amenity=bank
gl "Banco"  - Bench amenity/bench amenity=bench

eu ( Basque ) - added yesterday - not in the sheet
eu  "Banku"   -  Bank amenity/bank amenity=bank
eu  "Banku"  -   Bench amenity/bench amenity=bench

imho:
- The problem, that the translators don't have a tool to detect these
problems.
- (in Hungary)  The hardcore OSM mappers don't use iD editor  - They prefer
JOSM, so very hard to detect translation problems.

best,
 Imre

José G Moya Y. <josemoya at gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2018. okt. 6., Szo,
9:26):