[Tagging] Greengrocer vs grocery vs shop=food?

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Tue Oct 9 15:22:27 UTC 2018

> Both, restaurants and fast food places require that you can get there
> and get something ready to eat. If all they sell are products that
> require further preparation / cooking, I would not tag them as
> restaurant or fast food (with the exception of places that provide a
> possibility where you can cook on the premises, and that are
> considered restaurants / fast food).
>
> Cheers,
> Martin

I agree... if the food is not edible when it's purchased, it isn't fast
food or restaurant food.

I'm favor of rendering shop=food. I think of it as a parallel syntax to
shop=clothes. A clothes shop can be further described with
clothes=women, clothes=hats etc. Or =clothes can be replaced with a
narrower value, like shop=shoes, shop=fashion. Likewise, it makes sense
to use shop=food (possibly in combination with food=*) if none of the
more specific food shop tags like deli, convenience, greengrocer, or
supermarket are a good fit.