[Tagging] Game and toy library

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 18:01:28 UTC 2018

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 6:12 PM Marc Gemis <marc.gemis at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes,  that is the process that you should follow.  Please keep in mind the
> it is easier to introduce a new tag than to redefine one. Requiring that
> all current amenity=library have to be updated with a subtags library= book
> will likely get some comments.

There are other problem.  The icon for amenity=library is a book.  Until
the rendering tools are
modified, using subtags like library=toys (the toy library near me doesn't
have any games in its
catalogue, only games) and library=toys_and_games will get a book icon.
The rendering tools
can be changed to accommodate this but, as I understand it, such changes
may greatly
increase the processing time to render map tiles whether or not they
contain a library.

It's also worth pointing out that "library" derives from a word meaning
books (or chest for books).
It's is incorrect to say that a toy library is like a library but for toys,
it's like a LENDING library but
for toys.  I hate it when marketers misappropriate words, but it's far too
late to do anything about it.