[Tagging] How to tag named group of named water areas?

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 00:15:04 UTC 2018

> why not a multipolygon? I agree that you don’t need additional tags for a
> group relation, just type=group, a name and the members, but for a site you
> would need something that describes the site, a tag for a group of water
> areas, so as long as all the members are areas (or parts), a multipolygon
> would be better.

When the lakes themselves are complex multipolygons with many islands,
repeating that data for the group is likely to be a maintenance nightmare.
(I know this from curating boundary=protected_area relations that include
partial shorelines on such lakes. It's especially fun when the boundary
splits islands.)