[Tagging] issues with the list of deprecated features

Lionel Giard lionel.giard at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 11:53:57 UTC 2018

> I am not sure how it changes that we ended with tourism-artwork as a
>> standard.
>>
>> Also, "has nothing at all" is not true. Artworks are quite likely to be a
>> tourism attractions.
>>

> following this argument, we would have to tag the national parliaments as
> tourism=parliament because they are quite likely tourism attractions.

For tourism=* tag, for me, it is just a method to not tag each artwork with
"tourism=attraction" i would suppose (as they are probably all an
attraction), while a parliament *could *be a tourism=attraction, while
another part of it (or another parliament building) is of no particular
touristic value !

The tourism=attraction is more the general way of tagging a touristic
attraction while, the specific tourism=* values are for things that are all
an attraction !

BTW, another thing potentially using this "tourism=artwork" tag are
statues. They have two existing tagging scheme : one using the
"tourism=artwork + artwork_type=statue" and another using the
"historic=memorial" + "memorial=statue". I understood it as the "memorial
statues" have historic values and was another scheme already, but they can
still be an attraction for tourism ! Nothing is easy ahah :p

3. amenity=creche and amenity=nursery
> For both tags amenity=kindergarten is suggested as alternative tagging,
> which seems clearly wrong (kindergarten is usually for ages 3-6 while these
> tags are for ages 0-3). There is also the suggestion for amenity=childcare,
> which is featured by iD presets, but which doesn't seem like a great idea,
> because it partly overlaps with the much more used amenity=kindergarten,
> and because it has a very generic meaning and can be used for any place
> that looks after "young children" (i.e. also after school places,
> nurseries, kindergartens, places in shops that take care of the kids for a
> few minutes, etc.) and the wiki states it is controversial.

For the amenity=creche..., in Belgium, we use the "amenity=childcare" for
an equivalent to "creche/nursery". It is a defined tag on the wiki (
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dchildcare ). I think, the
usage still depend on the country. ;-)