[Tagging] Power=cable for low voltage lines?

François Lacombe fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 07:47:44 UTC 2018

Le mar. 16 oct. 2018 à 00:20, Greg Troxel <gdt at lexort.com> a écrit :

> So I don't see how we can make "insulated" a big deal in tagging,
> defining the top-level tag, rather than being a detail to add when
> known.

I agree with both of you Greg and Marc
Nevertheless, this was a debate in 2013 and I was in favor to merge line,
cable and minor_line
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Power_transmission_refinement#power.3Dminor_line_and_power.3Dminor_cable_replacement

Due to power=cable and power=line usage in OSM, many contributors didn't
want to mass retag power=cable.
Then we all agreed on line/cable distinction in late 2014 or 2015.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Power_paths_refinement#Integrated_power.3Dcable

Note that insulation is also a draft proposal
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Insulation_proposal

I'm still opposed to minor_line since in merge several different concept in
one value, and is only useful for rendering.

That said, I fully support your notion of tagging voltage, so that
> low-voltage lines can be rendered only at extreme zooms, and to assume a
> line is low voltage (240V seems like a reasonable default assumption in
> terms of controlling rendering) if not tagged.

Great, should we open an issue on carto github to propose to lower the
rendering of cables without voltage?

All the best

François