[Tagging] Another multipolygon question

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 23:18:37 UTC 2018

On 22/10/18 09:52, Kevin Kenny wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 7:34 AM bkil <bkil.hu
> <http://bkil.hu>+Aq at gmail.com <mailto:Aq at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     It seems many would find a short video tutorial depicting these
>     steps very handy. Would you mind sharing on Bitchute or on some
>     other video hosting site?
>

> On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 9:00 AM Dave Swarthout
> <daveswarthout at gmail.com <mailto:daveswarthout at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I was wishing that someone would write a short tutorial about
>     relations, the various concepts about tagging them, and problem
>     solving when something goes wrong with one. I have been unable to
>     understand with any degree of certainty how and why we create
>     them, which is the reason I started this thread and contributed to
>     the other one about tagging groups of lakes. The Wiki is helpful
>     but leaves out a lot of details. A tutorial, video or otherwise,
>     would be extremely helpful.
>

> On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 1:24 PM Mateusz Konieczny
> <matkoniecz at tutanota.com <mailto:matkoniecz at tutanota.com>> wrote:
>
>     Maybe improving wiki would be a good idea as the first [step].
>
> I find that video tutorials don't often fit my learning style, so I
> don't often use them and have never made one. Moreover, I'm an old man
> and somewhat set in my ways. Nevertheless, they seem to be demanded,
> and if nobody else steps forward, perhaps it will be possible to teach
> this old dog that new trick.  I'd be willing to take a whack at a
> written tutorial, but can't promise any particular time frame. Just at
> the moment, I'm chronically busy.

When you want something done, ask a busy person.

> The right place might be the Wiki, but I've two reservations. First,
> I've simply burnt my fingers too many times when touching a Wikipedia
> page. Perhaps this community is a trifle less fiery? Second, what I've
> seen on OSM's Wiki (as well as Wikipedia and others) is that editors
> jump in to add details that make the presentation more "correct," but
> less approachable to a newcomer. For an introductory tutorial, this
> drift is disastrous, because introductory material frequently is in
> the form of a "lie to children"
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lie-to-children that is not techinically
> accurate, but provides enough of a mental model to do simple things
> and prepares the mind to accept a more complete explanation later.

I used the OSM diary entry to do Public Transport. Might work for you .
People can make comments under it .. and you can edit the first entry
you made to correct errors and make changes.
See https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Warin61/diary/45106

Videos are like lessons... you need to be very well prepared to present
them. Written stuff you can do fairly easily and review later. A
presentation (video/lesson) should be correct the first time around. For
preference .. I'd write it .. much less stress.