[Tagging] Upcoming removal of power=station and power=sub_station in the standard style

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 12:01:47 UTC 2018

Well, there you go. Mass edits are frowned upon even if the potential for
making a mistake is low. Is it worse to have a few power=sub_station
objects that should really be power=plant instead of an enormous number of
objects with deprecated tags?  Good question, but one that must remain
academic in scope.

We'll just have to wait until hell freezes over to see those deprecated
tags disappear.

On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 6:09 PM Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com> wrote:

> Regarding sub_station, there seems to have been  a  revert three month ago
> of the results of a maproulette task
> sub_station > substation.
> according this changeset comment on one of the sub_station nodes
> <https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/2414799301> in my area:
> "revert mechanical edit of power=sub_station after complaints from the
> community. this claimed to be a maproulette edit but nobody can edit 12,000
> objects with the required diligence in such a short time
> Edited 3 months ago by woodpeck_repair"
> <https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/woodpeck_repair>
>
> On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 at 11:05, François Lacombe <fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thank you to talk about this.
>>
>> Definitely ok to retag remaining sub_station and station
>> This helps a lot to clean up power=* key.
>>
>> Even if sub_station is often 1:1 of substation, this have to be replaced
>> carefully since objects can have been mis tagged as power=sub_station.
>> In France, last objects where removed this summer. There was about 150 of
>> them and it was not so hard to review each one.
>>
>> All the best
>>
>> François
>>
>> *François Lacombe*
>>
>> fl dot infosreseaux At gmail dot com
>> www.infos-reseaux.com
>> @InfosReseaux <http://www.twitter.com/InfosReseaux>

>>> Agree it should be a 1:1 automated conversion.
>>> Possibly the warning has been a copy and paste?
>>> Contact with the author of the warning might be informative.

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand