[Tagging] mast / tower / communication_tower (again)

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 23:40:02 UTC 2018

1. Multipurpose tower still seems a little ambiguous to me. Observation
tower is closer for most of them, because they are big enough to have
elevators and public observation decks, right?

Since there are already tags for tower:type=observation and
tower:type=communications, perhaps there is no need for
man_made=communications_tower?

2. In rendering style sheets it is possible to set the zoom level, the size
of the icon and the presence of the name label based on height. For example:
height>100 renders at z13,
height>50 at z14,
height>30 at z15,
And if there is no height, at z17.

So entering a numeric height value in meters provides the most data for
database users, and the most flexibility for map renderers.

It can be challenging to measure the height of a 100m tall tower, but an
individual can use a meter stick, a gps and trigonometry to check the
height in person. Often the height is on a sign for big towers. Armchair
mappers may be out of luck, unless the sun casts long shadows on the aerial
imagery, but there are many things that cannot be mapped from one’s
armchair.

-Joseph