[Tagging] Radio telescopes

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 12:56:37 UTC 2018

On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 1:20 PM Andrew Harvey <andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> So the tower issue aside, if the dish is used for two way communication
> then:
>
> man_made=tower + tower:type=communication +telescope:type=radio +
> tower:construction=dish

I would say that is the case even for one-way communication (either
direction).  The hint is
in the word "communication"  - if it's used for communication then it
doesn't matter whether
in one direction or two.

If the dish is used for receiving only (whether looking at the stars or
> reviving signals from humans in space) then:
>
> man_made=telescope + telescope:type=radio + tower:construction=dish

Again I have to disagree.  One is used for observing the other is used for
receiving
communications (hint: "communication").

Of course, the same dish might be used for both purposes, switching from
one use to the
other as required, so any tagging scheme ought to cope with that.

And then there's SETI.  I'd say that right now all SETI antennas are
telescopes but there is a
possibility at some future time that some of them may become communications
antennae.

BTW, these days few radio telescopes are dishes.  Most of them are phased
arrays and not on towers
or masts.

--
Paul