[Tagging] 2 meaning for crossing=zebra

marc marc marc_marc_irc at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 25 21:39:09 UTC 2018

Hello,

I have a big issue with crossing=zebra.
it prevent to fill in the other value for crossing like
crossing=traffic_signals crossing=uncontrolled
the wiki [1] said that crossing=zebra is a shortchut for
crossing=uncontrolled + crossing_ref=zebra in the UK
but a lot of zebra also in UK and outside UK have traffic_signals
and must be tagged with crossing=traffic_signals
so at the end, crossing=zebra has no meaning... maybe the previous
contributor mean crossing=uncontrolled + crossing_ref=zebra
but maybe he mean only crossing_ref=zebra
I fix a few week a lot of crossing=zebra crossing_1=traffic_signals
or crossing=zebra;traffic_signals that show it's an issue.

a issue was closed in iD [2] some time ago because "the dev dislike
crossing_ref" (it is in fact a very ugly name for the tag)
right now josm [3] is changing preset to drop cossing_ref=zebra
in favor of crossing=zebra

I am part of a group of a group of mappers working on accessibility
are planning to open a talk to fix it but the news of the commit flow
preceded us

so my request is : how to avoid again a multi-meaning tag ?

may/must we separate the type of crossing from the ground marking ?
in short : move away crossing=zebra in another tag ? if yes
is crossing_Re so ugly than in the same time another tag need
to be used for the ground marking ?

let's avoid the argument of "there are too many cases to fix",
it doesn't scare me to propose a mass edition once a coherent scheme
has been found. but having half tools that fill a value with another
meaning than other or historical meaning is a big issue for the use
of the data.

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:crossing
[2] https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/issues/4788
[3] https://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/16793