[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (consulate)

Johnparis okosm at johnfreed.com
Sat Oct 27 15:17:09 UTC 2018

I was waiting for Martin to weigh in on the amenity vs. office question.

To me, a consulate falls squarely within the definition of amenity. It
certainly serves "tourists" (including expats/foreigners/etc.). When I am
visiting a new country, my country's consulate is one of the most important
places for me to know about. And if I'm considering a visit to another
country, finding that country's consulate is essential if I need a visa.

I'm not averse to office=diplomatic, but I do think amenity=diplomatic is a
better fit.

As to the diplomatic=* subkey, I will say that "diplomatic=non_diplomatic"
has been documented for some time. I do find it an oxymoron. I *think* the
intent was to cover diplomatic missions not covered by either of the two
main conventions. So "diplomatic=non_convention" might be a better value,
though not very conversational English. "diplomatic=other" is a catch-all,
but in that case you might as well just omit the subkey. I do think,
however, upon reviewing the examples cited, that "diplomatic=mission" might
be better. I don't see any particular reason to remove the other documented
values for diplomatic=* from the wiki. I defer to Allan and other experts
on this.

John