[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (consulate)

Allan Mustard allan at mustard.net
Wed Oct 31 01:33:52 UTC 2018

Some responses to Warin:

On 10/31/2018 3:45 AM, Warin wrote:
> Errr.
>
> By combining Embassy with High Commission there is a decrease in
> information.

No information is lost.  "High Commission" is an embassy by another
name, between Commonwealth members.  The term "high commission" would be
preserved both in the embassy=* tag and the name=* tag.

> The VCDR does not mention embassy. It has 'mission' and 'consular' but
> no 'embassy', nor 'high commission' etc.

As I pointed out in an earlier post, "embassy" technically and legally
consists of the people dispatched to a foreign country on a diplomatic
mission.  By convention and in vernacular use, "embassy" is used to
denote the physical structure of the diplomatic mission in which said
people operate.  The VCDR is a legal document (a treaty).  It uses legal
language.  I have provided a great deal of detail (much of which would
be captured in the wiki, ultimately) describing the various flavors of
diplomatic missions, which broadly speaking fall into three categories:
embassies, consulates, and other.  If you doubt my word, as you seem to,
please consult with your local ministry of foreign affairs.  If you are
willing to take the word of Wikipedia, its article on diplomatic
missions is pretty good:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplomatic_mission#Naming
>> Then the real fun begins.  As I have read through the various
>> comments and suggestions, it has occurred to me that the following
>> hierarchy of tags would potentially fill the bill:
>>
>> The three values/categories (embassy, consulate, other) would have
>> specific subcategories.  If you wanted to do a key search in overpass
>> turbo, it would still be possible. The subcategories would be
>>
>> * embassy=[embassy/yes, nunciature, high_commission,
>> interests_section, mission, delegation, branch_embassy]
>>
>> * consulate=[consulate/yes, consulate_general, consular_agency,
>> consular_office, honorary_con
>>
> The above 'consolidations' ... loose information.

How do they lose information?  All information is preserved in the
additional tags.

> If required that consolidation can be done in rendering.
>
> But, I think, most renders now ignore them and simply render all of
> them the same. And, I think, that will continue for quite some time.
>
> If a render chose to distinguish between them then they can do so,
> they cannot distinguish between an embassy and a high commission if
> that information is not there.

I cannot conceive of a circumstance under which anyone would want to
render embassies and high commissions differently.  They are different
names for the same level of diplomatic mission (a mission covered by the
VCDR and headed by an ambassador).  If a renderer wanted to distinguish
them, it could be done with an IF statement testing the existence of the
string "high_commission" in either the name=* tag or the embassy=* tag.
Same goes for an overpass turbo search.