[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (consulate)

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 04:45:37 UTC 2018

On 31/10/18 12:33, Allan Mustard wrote:

> Some responses to Warin:
>
> On 10/31/2018 3:45 AM, Warin wrote:
>> Errr.
>>
>> By combining Embassy with High Commission there is a decrease in
>> information.
>>
> No information is lost. "High Commission" is an embassy by another
> name, between Commonwealth members.  The term "high commission" would
> be preserved both in the embassy=* tag and the name=* tag.
Mappers don't do sub tags well
Example;
Over 11,000 amenity=embassy
Some 4,000 diplomatic=*

Less than half the 'embassies' have the tag diplomatic, yet over 95%
have a name tag.
So they will use the name tag (that renders) together with the
amenity=embassy tag (that renders) but they are reluctant to use the
diplomatic tag (that does not render).

I think the same will occur to these embassy=* tags.

Another decrease in information is consulate and consult general ...
there may be more if I dig.

>> The VCDR does not mention embassy. It has 'mission' and 'consular'
>> but no 'embassy', nor 'high commission' etc.
>>
> As I pointed out in an earlier post, "embassy" technically and legally
> consists of the people dispatched to a foreign country on a diplomatic
> mission. By convention and in vernacular use, "embassy" is used to
> denote the physical structure of the diplomatic mission in which said
> people operate.  The VCDR is a legal document (a treaty).  It uses
> legal language.  I have provided a great deal of detail (much of which
> would be captured in the wiki, ultimately) describing the various
> flavors of diplomatic missions, which broadly speaking fall into three
> categories: embassies, consulates, and other.  If you doubt my word,
> as you seem to, please consult with your local ministry of foreign
> affairs.  If you are willing to take the word of Wikipedia, its
> article on diplomatic missions is pretty good:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplomatic_mission#Naming
>>> Then the real fun begins.  As I have read through the various
>>> comments and suggestions, it has occurred to me that the following
>>> hierarchy of tags would potentially fill the bill:
>>>
>>> The three values/categories (embassy, consulate, other) would have
>>> specific subcategories.  If you wanted to do a key search in
>>> overpass turbo, it would still be possible. The subcategories would be
>>>
>>> * embassy=[embassy/yes, nunciature, high_commission,
>>> interests_section, mission, delegation, branch_embassy]
>>>
>>> * consulate=[consulate/yes, consulate_general, consular_agency,
>>> consular_office, honorary_con
>>>
>> The above 'consolidations' ... loose information.
>>
> How do they lose information?  All information is preserved in the
> additional tags.
Those additional tags probably won't be used, see above.

>> If required that consolidation can be done in rendering.
>>
>> But, I think, most renders now ignore them and simply render all of
>> them the same. And, I think, that will continue for quite some time.
>>
>> If a render chose to distinguish between them then they can do so,
>> they cannot distinguish between an embassy and a high commission if
>> that information is not there.
>>
> I cannot conceive of a circumstance under which anyone would want to
> render embassies and high commissions differently.  They are different
> names for the same level of diplomatic mission (a mission covered by
> the VCDR and headed by an ambassador).  If a renderer wanted to
> distinguish them, it could be done with an IF statement testing the
> existence of the string "high_commission" in either the name=* tag or
> the embassy=* tag.  Same goes for an overpass turbo search.

If there no difference then they would be the same name.
Could be construed as the same kind of thing as the tag
'minor_mission'.  :)

Embassies and consulate are now rendered the same, that will probably
continue, even if they have different tags.