[Tagging] routes with double use hiking and bicycle

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 11:34:17 UTC 2018

On Sun, Sep 2, 2018 at 10:02 AM, Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com> wrote:

> There are routes out there that can be used by bicycle and on foot. Up tp
> now I have classified them as one or the or the other, tagging according to
> the prevalent use. This is unsatisfactory and, strictly speaking, not
> corresponding to the principle of on-the-ground-truth.

[...]

> The formally correct solution is "route=hiking;bicycle", and
> network=lwn;lcn ecc
> but this tagging is discouraged [1] and is flagged as error by JOSM, and I
> suspect that it also not supported by data users, as it is not documented
> anywhere.

The semi-colon is semi-deprecated, nevertheless it is the standard method
of indicating that a tag has multiple
values even if a particular tag does not explicitly say it can be used.

I wouldn't worry about validators flagging it as an error.  By the nature
of things they always lag behind new
tagging.  JOSM flagging it as an error is only a serious problem if it
refuses to let you save it.

As for data consumers, maybe this would work (I haven't thought through all
the ramifications).  Create a route
with route=hiking;bicycle.  Then create two route masters, one with
route_master=hiking and the other with
route_master=bicycle; each route master includes the common
route=hiking;bicycle.  This might solve some
problems.  It will also likely cause different problems.

The alternative, of course, is to use JOSM to clone the route, set one copy
to route=hiking and the other copy to
route=bicycle.  But that will be a pain in the bum to maintain the route
changes.

--
Paul