[Tagging] Slow vehicle turnouts

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 11:04:55 UTC 2018

> Summarizing recent comments:
> Martin wrote:
> > what’s wrong with passing place? Seems to describe the same thing
>
> I thought so too until I noticed that the Wiki says passing_place is used
> for nodes only, using logic that escapes me, so I began searching for
> another method. I also considered modifying that definition so it includes
> ways but was reluctant to start that battle even though that still seems a
> good solution.

I would be in favor of adding the possibility to tag highway=passing_place
on ways, there is already a tiny fraction tagged on ways (although the
percentage currently makes it clear they are outliers). There's a general
problem with using nodes for features like these: they don't have a
direction, so you can't state where the widening takes place.

For the lanes approach: I would only use this if the place has some length
(more than 5-10 meters you may typically find on a track) AND if there are
lane markings (general requirement for lanes).

Cheers,
Martin