[Tagging] Slow vehicle turnouts

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 11:54:23 UTC 2018

> <mailto:daveswarthout at gmail.com>>:
>

>     Summarizing recent comments:
>     Martin wrote:
>     > what’s wrong with passing place? Seems to describe the same thing
>
>     I thought so too until I noticed that the Wiki says passing_place
>     is used for nodes only, using logic that escapes me, so I began
>     searching for another method. I also considered modifying that
>     definition so it includes ways but was reluctant to start that
>     battle even though that still seems a good solution.
>

> I would be in favor of adding the possibility to tag
> highway=passing_place on ways, there is already a tiny fraction tagged
> on ways (although the percentage currently makes it clear they are
> outliers). There's a general problem with using nodes for features
> like these: they don't have a direction, so you can't state where the
> widening takes place.

Passing places are not long.
Most of them are just long enough to squeeze in a car and caravan ... just.
You are supposed to come to a complete stop to let others pass in either
direction.
They are usually on single lane, two way roads.

So a passing place .. you have to stop in it. You cannot keep moving as
you would with any distance of extra lane.