[Tagging] Slow vehicle turnouts

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 01:13:18 UTC 2018

@Warin, Thanks for clearing up my confusion about passing places. These
turnouts are definitely not the same. A vehicle should never stop in one.
They are about 1/4 mile long and some but not all have painted lines to
separate the highway proper from the turnout lanes. In the U.S., where we
drive on the right, such lanes are always on the right-hand side of the
highway, and although they aren't signed as one way, it's sensible to
include that tag IMO. In practice, a slow-moving vehicle turns off the main
highway, slows down enough to allow following vehicles time to pass on the
left, after which it returns to the main highway.

Given that the passing_place tag defines the situation you describe, and
indeed was created to model it, I'm not sure modifying its definition to
include ways would be a good idea. In addition, the term "passing" or, in
the EU, "overtaking", implies that the passing vehicle does so on the left
(U.S.) while these turnouts are always on the right. Hence my reluctance to
redefine that tag.

Dave

On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 6:55 PM Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 04/09/18 21:04, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

>> Summarizing recent comments:
>> Martin wrote:
>> > what’s wrong with passing place? Seems to describe the same thing
>>
>> I thought so too until I noticed that the Wiki says passing_place is used
>> for nodes only, using logic that escapes me, so I began searching for
>> another method. I also considered modifying that definition so it includes
>> ways but was reluctant to start that battle even though that still seems a
>> good solution.
>>

> I would be in favor of adding the possibility to tag highway=passing_place
> on ways, there is already a tiny fraction tagged on ways (although the
> percentage currently makes it clear they are outliers). There's a general
> problem with using nodes for features like these: they don't have a
> direction, so you can't state where the widening takes place.
>

> Passing places are not long.
> Most of them are just long enough to squeeze in a car and caravan ...
> just.
> You are supposed to come to a complete stop to let others pass in either
> direction.
> They are usually on single lane, two way roads.
>
> So a passing place .. you have to stop in it. You cannot keep moving as
> you would with any distance of extra lane.
>

> For the lanes approach: I would only use this if the place has some length
> (more than 5-10 meters you may typically find on a track) AND if there are
> lane markings (general requirement for lanes).
>
> Cheers,
> Martin

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska