[Tagging] Slow vehicle turnouts

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Wed Sep 5 01:45:17 UTC 2018

On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 8:15 PM Dave Swarthout <daveswarthout at gmail.com>
wrote:

> @Warin, Thanks for clearing up my confusion about passing places. These
> turnouts are definitely not the same. A vehicle should never stop in one.
> They are about 1/4 mile long and some but not all have painted lines to
> separate the highway proper from the turnout lanes. In the U.S., where we
> drive on the right, such lanes are always on the right-hand side of the
> highway, and although they aren't signed as one way, it's sensible to
> include that tag IMO. In practice, a slow-moving vehicle turns off the main
> highway, slows down enough to allow following vehicles time to pass on the
> left, after which it returns to the main highway.

I'd say at least a quarter mile long.  On long sections of I 82 in
Washington and I 5 in California, they famously have them for many
kilometers going over the Cabbage Patch and going over the Grapevine.
Mostly because any RVs or big rigs climbing are going to be
weight-to-effective-power competitive with a bicycle going up them, the
speed difference can be quite dramatic.

I'm still in favor of going with treating them as any other lane, maybe
tagging for the restrictions in place (like I 82 being
hgv=no|yes|designated where the rightmost lane is a marked slow vehicle
lane).  I'm not sure there's really a way to accurately tag for the
single-white "cross with extreme caution" line as opposed to the double
white "no lane change" or white and broken white "lane change only in one
direction" lines...