[Tagging] Slow vehicle turnouts

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 14:45:19 UTC 2018

Tod writes:
>In California the narrow mountain roads will have “turn outs”. These are
very short, basically just enough room for a >vehicle to pull over and stop
to allow others to pass. These are signed in advance with something like
“Turn out 500 ft >ahead”.

These are tagged in OSM, according to the Wiki, as highway=passing_place
and the use of the tag is restricted to nodes. The restriction is probably
because those places are so short and nodes, except for the problem of
directionality, as you and others point out, do the job well enough. But
that tag won't work in my case because these are actual separate lanes with
a significant length. Clearly, some sort of definitive tagging for ways is
needed.

Consequently, I've been ignoring turnouts in my own work although I've
always felt they should be mapped. I wanted to get things right before
settling on a scenario, writing a short JOSM preset to increase efficiency,
and then proceeding to tag them.

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand