[Tagging] Telephone exchange

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Sun Sep 16 08:54:20 UTC 2018

On 16/09/2018 08:48, José G Moya Y. wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Path 374362033 ( https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/374362033 ) is a
> building with no windows in Calle del FĂșcar, 28014 Madrid that
> contains a phone exchange (originally it was a gigantic relay system
> for the phones of the area, now probably replaced with smaller
> computers and microcontrollers).
> It is tagged as "building=central office", a non-standard tag.
> I wonder if tagging it as "building=industrial" would be better,
> despite of the whole neigbourhood being officially classified as
> "tertiary use" (non-industrial).
>
> Or maybe "building=yes" would be just enough. Path 28996211 (
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/28996211 ) is a similar phone
> exchange building, near Delicias, Madrid, enough old to be announced
> as "phone booths that way" on the street. It is tagged as "building=yes".
>
> Do you think I should change the tag on 374362033?

Any mapper can use any tag they like, there are no approved or standard
tags, only well-used and (sometimes) documented tags. building=central
office may mean something to the mapper.

I would contact the mapper with a friendly message asking what they were
trying to do and suggesting more widely used tags if that seems useful,
but don't force a change.

As a data consumer, I think that any value on a key that I don't
specifically use is the same as key=yes, so I would treat
building=central office in the same way as building=yes.

--
cheers
Chris Hill (chillly)