[Tagging] maxspeed:type vs source:maxspeed // StreetComplete

Tobias Zwick osm at westnordost.de
Wed Sep 19 12:31:01 UTC 2018

This is an interesting idea (inspired by the ongoing discussion about
mapping language borders?), but unfortunately it wouldn't work.

Sorry for linking to this all the time but it is really necessary in
order to understand the big picture:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Default_speed_limits

It wouldn't work because legislation on max speed is not that easy. Some
points:

1. OSM highway classifications (secondary,tertiary,...) do not and
   cannot follow the same scheme as how the roads are grouped for the
   purpose of defining different max speeds in legislation.

   Examples:
   - In California (US-CA), the default speed limit for residence
     districts and business districts is 25 mph. But there is no
     highway=business (etc.)
   - In Indiana (US-IN), the default speed limit on US interstates is
     70 mph. Now, not all highway=motorway are interstates and not
     all interstates are necessarily highway=motorway.

2. Max default speeds can depend not only on the road type / area but
   also on vehicle type, its designation and its properties (weight, no
   of seats, with trailer? ...), furthermore even on the time of day and
   weather condition.

   Examples: See Portugal (PT), see Poland (PL), European countries

3. (As hinted at by the last point) what road type category applies can
   not always be determined by looking at one tag (a "classification"
   of some kind) only.

   Examples:
   - In California (US-CA), any road with 2 or more lanes in *each*
     direction has a default speed limit of 65 mph
   - In Alabama (US-AL), the default speed limit for roads without
     alphalt or concrete surface is 35 mph (usually it is 55 mph).
   - In Germany (DE), there is no speed limit on dual carriageways
     and single carriageways with 2 or more lanes in each direction
     for passenger cars, independent on whether they are classified
     as motorways or motorroads or not

Cheers
Tobias