[Tagging] Stormwater outlet into stream

Kevin ksamples at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 18:20:15 UTC 2018

If you're looking for a good term for the stormwater outlet, the
engineering term is "headwall" for the outlet and "catch basin" for the
inlet. I don't think either of these are  commonly used in osm.
"drain_outlet" and "drain_inlet" may be better terms and of more use
outside of stormwater infrastructure.  As for what connects the two; you
usually have a ditch, pipe, or stream. The wiki on waterways suggests that
all pipe flow is pressurized and therefore it should be waterway=drain.



On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 11:03 PM, Jonathon Rossi <jono at jonorossi.com> wrote:

> I've come across the desire to map a stormwater outlet at the beginning of
> a stream a few times now and have failed to find an appropriate tag to
> place on the node. These outlets are pretty common in residential areas
> where the stormwater pipes underneath the roads (obviously unmapped) direct
> their water to the lower streets and eventually enter naturally forming
> creeks that existed before the residential estate was even built.
> Is there something that is already commonly used that I've been unable to
> find?
> I've seen manhole=drain on the wiki, but that is the opposite end where
> surface water enters the stormwater system.
> Jono
> _______________________________________________
> Tagging mailing list
> Tagging at openstreetmap.org
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/attachments/20180920/9fdbe781/attachment-0001.html>

More information about the Tagging mailing list