[Tagging] Stormwater outlet into stream

François Lacombe fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 08:13:41 UTC 2018

Le ven. 21 sept. 2018 à 09:17, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Ok .. thinking on it, if the word 'sewer' is confusing for 'native'
> English speakers (and dictionaries) it may be best avoided within OSM.
> So what word/s to use?
> I would think storm_water and waste_water or stormwater and wastewater
> might be reasonable values? However that does not name the pipe function.
>
> Perhaps man_made=pipe would do? Then subtags for diameter, substance,
> pressure etc.

We already have man_made=pipeline
It is only the nutshell, how the conduit is actually built, not what's
going inside. Substance=water is recommended and useful but not enough to
qualify the flow.
A pipeline may be opposed to tunnel. In the current situation it's
certainly a pipeline and not a tunnel.

According to https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:waterway#Values
waterway=drain is suitable for discharge of superfluous water, which rain
water actually is.
As waterway=canal, a drain is always free flowing in open air. For
pressurised water conduit, use waterway=pressurised (if intake is always
below water level in operation, in the catch basin)
Then usage=sewer or usage=discharge would be ok.

All the best

François