[Tagging] RFC - landcover clearing

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 08:16:51 UTC 2018

On 22/09/18 17:39, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:

> 22. Sep 2018 00:38 by 61sundowner at gmail.com
> <mailto:61sundowner at gmail.com>:
>
>     On 21/09/18 23:16, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
>
>         I am not sure why landcover=clearing is described as better
>         than other.
>
>         If someone wants to leave gixme, the fixme key or OSM note is
>         the best solution.
>

>     Best solution for what?
>

> For marking clearing to be mapped. Obviously, mapping it properly
>
> would be better. But fixme/notes at least in theory can be processed
> by other mappers,
>
> in case of clearings - also by armchair mappers.

But then the feature is harder to find in the data base.
Note that clearings have already been marked as landuse=clearing.

> I have no idea why encouraging landcover=clearing would be preferable.

In preference to landuse=clearing.

>         6. Aug 2018 02:11 by 61sundowner at gmail.com
>         <mailto:61sundowner at gmail.com>:
>
>             and stop land covers becoming regarded as a legitimate use
>             of the key landuse.
>

>         too late for that, see landuse=forest
>

>     So landuse=sand
>     landuse=dirt
>     landuse=rock
>     landuse=scrub
>     landuse=valley
>     landuse=peak
>     landuse=cliff
>     landuse=tunnel
>
>     will all be fine to use?
>     I don't think so.
>
> No, because there are already tags for tagging that.

Despite that people are using landuse=sand, landuse=scrub... and it is
probably because of the use of landuse=forest and landuse=grass that
suggests this misuse.

And there are no tags for clearing.. so they use landuse=clearing.

And round the circle we go again.