[Tagging] How to tag a building constructed for a gastronomic purposes?

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 11:26:50 UTC 2018

On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 12:07 PM, Marc Gemis <marc.gemis at gmail.com> wrote:

> I like the idea of having a separate tag for buildings that are
> constructed to be restaurants, pubs, taverns, kro's etc. imho they are
> a different type compared to buildings for shops, especially
> supermarket-style buildings (which are large rectangles without too
> many indoor walls). I see no problem to use a different building style
> for a small shop in a town vs. a supermarket / mall / rectangle box.

One problem is that current tagging practise does not give perfect
orthogonality between building
type and use.  Another problem is that neither does the real world.

Yes, there are two supermarkets in my town (there used to be three, and at
one point there were plans for
a fourth) which are/were clearly building=retail (in your interpretation).
But there are buildings on an industrial
estate which clearly are building=industrial but some of them are, or have
been, used for retail.  Most of the
shops, restaurants and pubs in town are in what were built to be family
dwellings (houses).  Some buildings
have been houses, then pubs, then restaurants, then pubs again, then shops,
then houses again.

The ex-supermarket in town will shortly be turned to a variety of purposes
run by a church: part of it will become their
place of worship, another will be the town's food bank, another will be a
cafe and another will be a small community
area (well, those are the current plans).  It's still building=retail
because it was built as a supermarket, but
arguably it could be tagged as building=yes.

Many barns, stables and milking sheds in the area have been converted into
holiday cottages and look more like
houses than farm buildings (some older barns and stables which are still
used as such are difficult to distinguish
from houses using aerial imagery and even with a survey).

Many churches and chapels around here have been deconsecrated and turned
into dwellings.

Real life is messy.

However, I'm not sure whether gastronomic is the proper
> British-English word to use. I think the Brits are already using
> building=pub (perhaps only for a subclass of your 'gastronomic'.
>
> There is an increasing blur between pubs and restaurants these days.  Many
pubs serve meals.  Many restaurants
serve alcohol.  Some pubs exist in small hotels.

Real life is messy.

--
Paul