[Tagging] How to tag a building constructed for a gastronomic purposes?

Marc Gemis marc.gemis at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 12:11:09 UTC 2018

On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 1:31 PM Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 12:12 PM, Marc Gemis <marc.gemis at gmail.com> wrote:
>> So if we have to take the inside (or whole structure) into account,
>> what is the building type when the outside and the inside tell
>> something different ? Apartments in a church, a fast-food restaurant
>> behind the facade of a rich merchant's house from 1600, etc. ? On the
>> outside it might be clearly a church, but once inside you might no
>> longer see it used to be a church. Is the building a church or an
>> apartment building ?
> A discussion along these lines comes to mind: "From the secondary school, walk west along Arbuthnot Street for about
> half a mile until you come to a church.  It's not really a church any more, it was deconsecrated years ago and is now
> a family home, but look for a church."  Would it be more useful to tag it as building=church or building=house?
> Similarly, ask a child to draw a church.  Or a house.  Or even a supermarket.
> That's why I have strong doubts about building=gastronomic (or whatever it ends up being).  I know what a church looks
> like.  Ditto for supermarket, industrial unit, warehouse and house.  I cannot bring to mind a typical restaurant architecture.

if you have to take the interior into account it can be done sometimes:
- large seating area (even noticable when empty)
- a bar where the personnel prepares drinks
- large kitchen area
- a toilet area
- a reception area (possible with personnel) or wardrobe
- often better access for wheelchairs than a typical house
- for fast_food: a counter with large displays to list menus and prices

On the outside it can be a villa or a warehouse or a church...


More information about the Tagging mailing list