[Tagging] Draft Proposal: Default Langauge Format

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 12:35:55 UTC 2018

I’m sorry I misunderstood your point about POIs (eg shops, amenities) in
Brussels, which as you say often have a name in only one language.

On this case, a map renderer or routing service that has adopted this new
tag should look first for name:nl=* and name:fr=*, and show whichever one
is found. If there is neither a name:fr or name:nl, then the label should
be based on name=*

It isn’t necessary to add the default language tag to any POIs in Brussels
as long as the name is in French, Flemish or both. Only places with foreign
names  (eg a Korean shop?) would need to be tagged directly.

I personally think it is a good idea to have a name:fr or a name:nl for
every POI in Brussels, but that’s not part of this proposal.

Joseph