[Tagging] mast / tower / communication_tower (again)

Lionel Giard lionel.giard at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 16:39:51 UTC 2018

Looking at the definition on the wikiproject telecom
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Telecoms (in the part
"Antennas / Masts / Towers", there is a section to indicate how to tag the
mast, tower ...:

>From my understandings, the three (four) cases are currently :
- a vertical structure supported by anchors for a mast;
- a free-standing structure for a tower (it can be a tower of 10 meters or
150 meters !);
- and the communication_tower is only a sub-category of a tower, for the
ones with an height > 100 meters (i suppose it is an historic method to get
big tower rendered differently without knowing the height exactly - for the
towers that are a clear landscape reference).
(- And for antenna (alone) on buildings,  there is "telecom=antenna".)

Probably most of the mast are only accessible via ladder, and most of the
big tower have a platform (i don't know if all of them does), but does it
really matter ?

The question i could see is : do we really need the communication_tower tag
or should it be a secondary tag of the tower itself (like tower_type=*) ? I
think it is useful to distinguish them somehow as it is useful as a
landmark on the map, but am i alone to think that ?