[Tagging] capacity=* of bicycle sharing stations when no. of bikes > no. of stands

Jyri-Petteri Paloposki jyri-petteri.paloposki at iki.fi
Tue Apr 2 08:10:06 UTC 2019

On 31.3.2019 4.51, MichaƂ Brzozowski wrote:
> A new bicycle-sharing scheme called MEVO has just (sort of) started in
> Poland.
> It consists of 660 stations, which function like regular bicycle stands
> (no active parts).
>
> The bikes are station-less, which means they can be left in almost any
> place in the city except excluded zones (albeit for a small extra fee).
> The normal intended usage is to leave them at stations, which is
> verified by GPS geofencing. This implies that people may (and they did)
> leave more bicycles than there are stands at some stations.
>
> How should we map the number of stands, if it's not really a measure of
> capacity?
> One mapper that mapped them went with e.g. capacity="5 stands", but this
> doesn't seem elegant or parsable to me.

IMO this sounds like a problem that would also happen for example in the
Turku city bike scheme. Here there are a number of racks in the station
area, but even if the station is full one can leave the bike chained to
another city bike, and so the number of bikes can easily double from the
designated capacity. I think it makes sense to still use the capacity as
the designed capacity, ie. number of stands (unless one can leave one
bike on both sides of the stands, in which case the capacity is double
the number of stands.)

Best regards,
--
Jyri-Petteri Paloposki